- A weekend challenge in the heart of the English Lake District.
- Test your endurance and strength with this real monster mountain challenge.
- Climb some of the Lake Districts finest peaks along the way including England highest.
The 24 Peaks Challenge is one of our most demanding mountain walking challenges. It’s a tough physical challenge set in a stunning location, the heart of the Lake District. The Challenge is to walk up 24 peaks, with a total ascent of 4263m, in 24 hours total walking time.
Some of the route follows well-defined ridges, but the height climbed and descended throughout the challenge is significant. The route includes many of the more famous peaks such as Red Pike, Scafell Pike, Helvellyn and Great Gable.
The 24 peaks challenge is a two day challenge over a walking distance of 50.9 km usually undertaken over a weekend, with accommodation being arranged for a brief sleep during Saturday night.
Day 1: Gatesgarth farm to Stool End farm
Leg 1:Gatesgarth Farm – Red Pike 4.5km
Leg 2: Red Pike – High Stile 1.2km
Leg 3: High Stile – High Crag 1.5km
Leg 4: High Crag – Green Gable 6km
Leg 5: Green Gable – Great Gable 0.8km
Leg 6: Great Gable – Lingmell 4.2km
Leg 7: Lingmell – Scafell Pike 1.5km
Leg 8: Scafell Pike – Great End 1.8km
Leg 9: Great End – Esk Pike 1.6km
Leg 10: Esk Pike – Bow Fell 1.6km
Leg 11: Bow Fell – Stool End Farm 3.5km
Distance: 27.5km / 17miles
Total Ascent: 2519m / 8264ft
Target time: 14 hours
Day 2: Kirkstone Pass to Grovebeck Fold
14 Peaks / Up to 10 hours walking
- Leg 12: Kirkstone Pass – Red Screes 800m
- Leg 13: Red Screes – Dove Crag 3.3km
- Leg 14: Dove Crag – Hart Crag 1km
- Leg 15: Hart Crag – Fairfield 1.3km
- Leg 16: Fairfield – Seat Sandal 1.5km
- Leg 17: Seat Sandal – Dollywagon Pike 1.6km
- Leg 18: Dollywagon Pike – Nethermost Pike 1.3km
- Leg 19: Nethermost Pike – Helvellyn 1.1km
- Leg 20: Helvellyn – Lower Man 0.7km
- Leg 21: Lower Man – Whiteside 1.2km
- Leg 22: Whiteside – Raise 1km
- Leg 23: Raise – Stybarrow Dodd 1.8km
- Leg 24: Stybarrow Dodd – Watson Dodd 1.1km
- Leg 25: Watson Dodd – Great Dodd 1.3km
- Leg 26: Great Dodd – Grovebeck Fold 3.9km
Total Distance: 50.9km / 31.6 miles
Total Ascent: 4263m / 13,986ft
Price includes three nights accommodation (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). We can arrange a further nights accommodation if you wish to stay on to extend your stay in the Lake District.
Fitness requirements and experience
The 24 Peaks challenge involves fairly strenuous exercise and for your own safety you must be aware of this and consider carefully whether your general level of fitness, or any particular illness or ailment prevents you from participation.
We can provide help and guidance on the fitness side providing detailed information on fitness programmes and we also offer Preparation Training weekends in the Lake District.
Hillwalking equipment is essential and you must have the kit to keep you warm and dry in most eventualities.
Good well worn in boot are essential to save your feet from blisters.
A detailed equipment list is provided on booking.
- Qualified mountain leader throughout your challenge with a detailed knowledge of the Lake District Fells
- 3 nights hostel accommodation.
- All group safety kit including group first aid kit.
- All transfers throughout the challenge.
What’s not included
• Travel to and from the Lake District
• Personal walking equipment
• Personal food and snacks