Overview of Expedition Skills
This is a training event, delivered by Exped Adventure at their stunning base in the heart Lake District. On this course, you will learn expedition skills ranging from bush-craft and expedition preparation to navigation in our Lake District setting. It is a great opportunity to learn a valuable combination of skills from experts in the field.
We are flexible to alter the focus of the course according to your interests.
This course is ideal for someone with big aspirations, who is after a top-up of skills, action plan for achieving their goals or some inspiration for the next adventure.
An example of a previous participant was Claire who had booked to climb Kilimanjaro and was unsure about the best way to organise her tent equipment and was interested in a few hints and tips that would increase her chances of getting to the top but also make it more comfortable. She left having gained more confidence in her own ability, summited “Kili” and was the most organised person in a tent on the mountain.
Main areas of the Expedition Skills course:
- Expedition equipment and packing : Duffle bags, Exped rucksacks etc
- Expedition planning and leadership: route planning, Navigation, Maps
- Camp-craft: setting up an expedition style base-camp, camp-site selection, base-camp equipment, hygiene & sanitation
- Expedition shelters: personal/group shelters
- Rope-work: Different Techniques required in different environments i.e moving together,fixed lines etc
- Expedition cooking, food: nutritional values, food hygiene,use a variety of different cooking stoves i.e Jetboils, Multi fuels, Pocket rocket etc
- Water safety: sources, potential dangers, purification
- First aid kit advice : What to have in your personal first aid kit, what basic off the counter medicine to carry etc.
Experience needed for the Expedition Skills course
No previous camping or expedition experience is required.
We meet at our office in Staveley at 9am.
From here we chat further through your plans and aims of the course, as well as looking over the conditions on the ground and weather forecast.
From here we head off into the mountains choosing a suitable location that is new to people and also can offer the environment to cover all of the skills session.
We plan to be out all day and overnight, returning back mid-afternoon on the second day to allow time for an individual debrief at Wilf’s cafe.
– 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch and 1 evening meal.(Camping style Ration packs)
– Tent and a variety of different camping stoves to try out
What’s not included
– Travel to and from Lake District
– Personal equipment
– Additional drinks and snacks
There are no reviews yet.