- Learn to use a map and compass
- Expert tuition from experienced instructors
- Gain the skills required to become self-sufficient in the mountains.
- Develop your confidence in more challenging terrain
- Increase your enjoyment of the mountains
- Improve your safety in the mountain environment
Being able to navigate in the mountains is a great skill to have, and much easier than you may think. If the thought of being stuck in the mist restricts your activities, or you want to be more adventurous in the mountains, then you should join us on one of our Mountain Navigation Courses.
This 2 Day Mountain Navigation Course, based in the Lake District, is ideal for people with no or limited prior navigation experience. If you have existing navigation skills, we will be able to build on these over the two days. We are used to tailoring the course to meet the needs of a varied group of people.
Full training and practice in:
- Types of maps and scales
- Map symbols
- Grid References
- North – True, Grid and Magnetic
- Map orientation
- Feature identification
- Using a compass
- Estimating distance
- Estimating time required
- Understanding contours
- What to do when lost
- Planning a safe walk/route
- Safety in the mountain environment
- Using ‘Handrails’ and ‘Catchment Features’
- A basic understanding of Pacing and Timing
- Compass Bearings
We believe it is important that on each course everyone gets an appropriate amount of time with the instructor, and we do this by limiting our courses up to a maximum of 6 people.
The courses are normally based in the Lake District around the Ambleside area, and there is a wide range of accommodation available locally. Please contact us if you need help with your accommodation.
We meet at our office in Staveley at 9am.
From here we chat further through your plans and aims of the course, as well as looking over the conditions on the ground and weather forecast.
From here we head off into the mountains choosing a suitable location for practicing navigation skills, which can be around Loughrigg Fell or Longsleddale. We plan to be out all day.
We meet in the mornings for another navigation session in a different location, revising skills we practiced yesterday and adding new ones. We return back mid-afternoon to allow time for an individual debrief at Wilf’s cafe.
• 2 days instruction by a qualified Mountain Leader.
• Relevant map and compass provided.
• All group safety kit including group first aid kit.
What’s not included
• Travel to and from the Lake District
• Accommodation is not included, however this can be arranged by contacting us.
• Personal walking equipment