We have chosen Cawfields as our location on Hadrian’s Wall as there is a wealth of archaeological information visible on the ground.
Cawfields is a fantastic place to start your tour. You can see Hadrian’s Wall, a Milecastle, and one of the best sections of the Vallum (which is the defence ditch running parallel, south of the wall). Cawfields also has some of the best views across the rugged moorland vistas of the Northumberland National Park.
You will be able to see Hadrian’s Wall, a Milecastle, and one of the best preserved sections of the Vallum, the defence ditch running parallel resting south of the wall. Cawfields also has some of the best views across the rugged moorland vistas of the Northumberland National Park.Your guide Venutius, is a local Celtic Cheiftain, of the Brigante tribe. He will discuss life before the Roman invasion, life during the 368 years of Roman rule and the purpose of the Wall.More info….
- Tours suitable for individuals or large coach groups
- Location: Cawfields, Military Road, Haltwhistle, NE49 9NN
- Clients must make their own way to Cawfields Car Park
- Walk Distance: 1.5 miles
- Leisurely: A walk for reasonably fit people with a little country walking experience.
It will include unsurfaced rural paths.
- Walking boots and warm, waterproof clothing are recommended.
- Toilets in the Car Park.
- Car Park charge £4 facilities maintained by the National Park Authority.
Annual car park pass for Northumberland National Park £20 (see Sara for details)
- There are also local pubs along Hadrian’s Wall and in nearby villages of Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge & Greenhead
- Your guide will be dressed in authentic clothing for this tour. He does, however, reserve the right to wear modern clothing if the weather is causes concern for health and safety.
Child: 5-15years / under 5’s free